Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Wine Glasses

I am now starting to collect wine glasses. I started last week when my parents came to visit; I now have 3 unique wine glasses ha-ha. I am planning a day trip to all my favorite wineries soon. I did a little research and a wine glass actually makes a difference in how the wine tastes. The best wine glasses are:

Transparent – allows you to enjoy the wine’s color and clarity. Best wine glasses are clear.
Long Stemmed – this allows you to hold your glass away from the wine; this will ensure that your hand does not heat the wine and change the flavor.
Thin-lipped – having a thin lip directs the wine to the right areas of the tongue, which help build flavors.
Crystal – crystal is the best stemware because crystal is a rougher material. This roughness generates friction so when wine is poured it helps aerate the wine and release its flavors.

There are tons of different wine glasses but serious wine drinkers typically have four:

White Wine Glass – these are small in size, this small size limits the surface area, which in turn prevents the wine from warming quickly.
Bordeaux Glass – tulip shaped; works with big, rich and intense red wines. They give the wine bouquet room to develop.
Burgundy Glass – bigger in size then Bordeaux they are actually for smaller subtler wines such as Pinot Noir. The larger glass size give the wine more room to develop.
Champagne Flute – these glasses are long and narrow to control the bubbles in champagne and other sparkling wines.

Like many people I own white wine glasses and Bordeaux glasses. The most versatile wine glass is the Bordeaux glass. If anyone is interested in knowing something about wine that I have not already talked about please let me know.

Oh and side note...if you see a really cool wine glass please pick one up for me, I will pay you back; I just ask that you take a picture of the sign from the vineyard so I can put it behind the wine glass.

 Thank you to Quamut for this information.

No comments:

Post a Comment