Wednesday, June 2, 2010

How to order Wine at a Restaurant?

Wine Part 5 brought to you by Quamut:

How to order Wine at a Restaurant? I sat and thought about it for awhile and some might disagree with me on this one but I think that ordering wine is the trickiest alcohol to order when in a public setting.

Here is my thought. Beer although there are a lot of flavors people usually will only have a few choice on tap and they don’t vary in age of the beer and beer drinkers typically know what they like. Hard alcohol is the same, there are a variety of choices but the flavor stays consistent and so do peoples choices in what they drink. Wine on the other hand is different because you first have two choices White or Red. Then from there you have to pick between the Wine Varietals (Chardonnay, Muscat, Pinot Noir etc), then the year, price, country of origin and or body of the wine. Some might say that I am wrong and maybe I just don’t know enough about beer or hard alcohol, but its my blog so I am going with it.

Ok, now where was I…let’s see I was talking about How to Order Wine at a Restaurant? They say that the first question before you even pick your wine is to think about if you want a glass or the bottle. So I guess if you are their alone you might want a glass (or a bottle if you want to have a good time). Here are some things Quamut says to ask yourself.

1. If your table wont drink a full bottle
2. If you want more than one wine during dinner
3. If you and your dinner companion(s) are ordering foods that are difficult to pair with a single wine

Then the next thing after you realize you are getting the bottle because lets be honest its cheaper that way is to think about the type of wine you want. There are two different choices House Wine or a Wine List. House Wines are the wines that you ask for and you don’t give them any other description other than you want Red or White wine. Quamut says that House Wines are usually acceptable but never extraordinary. This is because a mass amount of people need to like it so a lot of times its nothing too special. Typically its served in a Carafe (wide-necked vessel that holds a bottle’s worth of wine) for house wines.

Then you have the Wine list, this list can vary between 15-150 types, you never really know. The wine list will then have the following: name of the wine, the winery that produced it, the vintage, and the price. They are usually separated by White Wines and Red Wines. Quamut suggests that you pick a wine you have never drank before but you know the type of grape variety, you may also tell the person serving you what you like and have them suggest something for you. If you are at a fancy place you can always ask the Sommelier.

The wine serving Ritual is as follows:
1. The waiter presents you the bottle (check to make sure it’s the right one)
2. The waiter will remove the cork for you (make sure the cork looks fresh and the wine isn’t rotten)
3. The waiter pours a little into your wine glass (sniff and taste the wine)
4. If the wine is good so tell the waiter to filler-up! Haha

Brought to you by Quamute

This is a problem/solution brought to you by Jenna

Problem: My friends boyfriend likes to flirt with me and make me feel extremely uncomfortable

Solution: Avoid him like the plague (thanks Jo)

2 comments:

  1. This was very insightful, thank you Kennedy. My only 2 comments: 1) For less wine-cultured folk, pronunciation is also one of the trickiest things in ordering wine in a public setting and avoiding looking like an idiot... and 2)I think you meant avoid him like the "plague" (I'm a health major, plagues spread, so you want to avoid them)...and yes, please avoid him, that makes me awkward and uncomfortable just thinking about it...ew. Ok, love and miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha thanks Jo, my bad.

    ps. you should follow my blog!!

    ReplyDelete