Sunday, March 7, 2010

I will enjoy it when I am older!

Question: At what age after 21 do you go from having your birthday at a bar with your friends to a birthday going rock climbing with your friends?

Answer: Age 24

Getting older to me is not a bad thing but at the same time I don’t like getting older. I will explain.

Ever since I was a little kid I have been shorter, right there that just makes you look younger; again not a bad thing.

Ever since I was a little kid I have been skinny, right there that just makes you look younger; again not a bad thing.

Here is the part that I don’t like when you are 24 years old and people still think you are 16.

Here are my stories:

Story 1 – Age 19. My friend Anna and I were on vacation and we started talking to this to this t-shirt guy, we started looking at his stand with t-shirts and he says “what are two 14 year olds doing out of school?” We walked away.

Story 2 – Age 20 – I am standing in line with my mom and I bought a CD (I know who buys CD’s anymore?) Not really thinking about it I stand in front of the line even though she is paying and the cashier asks me for an ID for the CD because you have to be 15. Now my mom being the quick wit she is says “oh that’s very kind of you" and starts to pull out her ID.

Story 3 – Age 21 – I was standing with a friend of mine who is older but only by a couple years and we were going out that night. I got all dressed up and what I learned over the years is that you can’t wear your hair up because that also makes you look younger so I was wearing my hair down and looking good. We sat down for some drinks and these guys came up to us and the conversation went as followed:

Guy: How old are you guys?

Us: 21 and 25

Guy: No way are you really 21, I bet my friend that you got in with a fake ID; I am going to have to go back to the table and tell everyone.

Story 4 – Age 22 –I still to this day get asked for my ID at some R rated movies. That being said I remember this one time in particular. She asked for my ID and here are my next two thoughts

Thought 1: Oh I am sorry I should have know, oh wait I am at a movie not a bar.

Thought 2: You have got to be kidding me? I am 22 years old.

I said thought 2 out loud and the young lady behind the counter said “well you don’t look 22” BURN! Enough said this coming from someone who is 15.

Story 5 - Age 23: I was out shopping and trying on different clothes that I really shouldn’t be trying on because I am trying to save money for a new car. That being said I just started a new job and I thought “hey I should buy a new shirt”. The lady checking me out at the counter then asked the dreaded question “so how old are you?” Now usually I have two ways of going about this question. I either answer the question right away and then they say “no you’re not BLANK” or my favorite “you look so young, well you will enjoy that when you are older”.

The other way you can answer is by saying “how old do you think I am?” Usually I just tell them but for some reason I wanted to put this woman in the hot seat. She said well you look like my niece, so I would guess 22 or 23. After my shock wore off that she was correct I said 23 and walked out of the store with a smile on my face.

Tomorrow I turn 24; I will keep you updated on what this year brings.

No comments:

Post a Comment