Monday, January 11, 2010

How To Not Be Nervous

I had a final round interview today and for some reason I was a little nervous. Now you may be saying “well that’s normal for an interview”. I am not really the type that gets nervous for interviews, I have always been good at public speaking and when it comes to job interviews I look at them like this “either it’s meant to be or it’s not meant to be so why get nervous”. I think the problem was I showed up a little too early so I had some time to chill in my car.

I was in my car and google’ing on my phone “good questions to ask on a job interview” and I had turned on the light inside the car. After reading some "good questions to ask" I looked at the clock and it was about 20 min till my interview started so I thought I would start walking to the building because I was sitting in a parking ramp.

This is where I realized that I was nervous because I was being a little scatter brained. I remembered to turn off the light inside my car because yes I have been that person who leaves it on and comes back to a dead car. I started walking away from the car feeling in control when I realized that I didn’t have my parking ticket. This is a negative I have come across in California you pay at a box at the ground level, not at a person. So I walk back to my car and look all around turning the light back on and not being able to find it.

I am in a pickle because I am unemployed so I can’t afford to pay the $24 dollar for a lost ticket but at the same time I need a job. So I decided to skip looking for it and ill look for it on the way back. Now I am thinking about the interview and about my lost ticket. I lock my door and turn around start walking away when I say to myself shoot the light in my car, I look and it’s on, so I turn back around and turn it off. As I am closing the door, I for some reason also feel to need to make sure the light is off when I close it so as the door closes my head goes forward to look and the tip of the door bangs right into the side of my head.

Now I am worried about my head that hurts, the ticket, getting to the interview on time and the interview. Awesome! I get to the interview and I “check in” and the nice girl at the front desk says “they are running a little late but are you ok?” I said “oh that’s fine” she says “no there is blood coming down the side of your face”. Sure enough I not only hit my head causing me to have a head ache but I also have a bump and blood coming down my face.

I must have looked really embarrassed because she gave me a tissue and said “don’t worry, I wont say anything”. I felt my head and sure enough there was a bump and a little blood coming down. I cleaned up and sat down took some deep breaths and started laughing a little bit because I realized I was no longer nervous for my interview. So if anyone is nervous about something just hit your head. It did the trick for me. I hid the bump with my hair and went into the interview with confidence and I think it went well.

Oh and I also found my parking ticket. haha

No comments:

Post a Comment