Thursday, January 7, 2010

Date Gone Wrong

Sometimes I think about dating back in the day. How different it must have been to have a guy court you for starters. I looked into it a little more and the timeline is as follows:

1920-1945: With the Great Depression and WWII many people dated which included going dancing or going to movies.

1945-1960: After the war dating and marriage was more of the norm. Dating would happen in Junior High and then you “go steady” which was followed by most people getting married between the ages of 20-22.

1960-2000: The 60’s started the feminist movement which gave women the sense of empowerment. Dating shows started which helped single people find outlets.

2000-Present: Today is the technology age. Dating is still present but it’s in a different form. There are more long distance relationships, speed dating and less face to face encounters.

That being said I have always been the fan of meeting my boyfriends though friends, which has its pros and cons. I don’t have too many really funny first bad dates but over the years I have heard some great stories of date’s people have gone on that I thought I would share. I am not going to give away any names to protect their dignity haha. I also want to put a disclaimer now the following stories are true but I don’t have the person sitting next time me so it’s as close as I remember them telling me.

Story 1: A friend of mine met a guy (a cop) on an online site and they talked on the phone for awhile to get to know each other. They finally decided to meet up and go out to dinner. The dinner went really well they had good conversation and she felt like they had some sort of connection. After dinner they decided to have a drink back at her place. They were sitting down and drinking some wine when he said he had to go to the bathroom.

This is where the date gets tricky. After about 20 min in the bathroom she started to think something was wrong. She went to the door to see maybe if he was puking from food poisoning or something. She heard nothing and walked back to the living room, after about 30-40 minutes he walked out and says “I can’t do this” and started crying.

While the tears were pouring down his face he lifted his pant leg and had a gun strapped to his leg and said something like “I have a gun”. My friend then thought to her self “I am going to die; this guy has a gun and is crying out of control” She then kept saying over and over “its ok, its ok, do not cry”. He said that it was just too much and that he needed to go home. After he left she closed the door behind him and locked it. Lets jus say there was no second date. I think she did get an email from him a couple week’s later saying he was sorry.

Story 2: My friend went on a date that by the end of the date she thought it was terrible. He ended up calling her again and asking her out. She told him that she thought they were better as friends. A day or so later she gets sent black roses and a card that says “you are such a whore and *ucking *itch”. He didn’t get a call back even as a friend.

Story 3: A friend of mine had met a guy trough a networking group. They had talked a couple of times and he finally asked her out. He picked her up and they went to a coffee shop. The date with this guy started off ok they talked about the city they live in and things they like to do and about work. All of a sudden a girl comes over and taps him on the shoulder. It ended up being his ex-girlfriend. They started talking and he didn’t introduce her or even acknowledge that she was there. His ex walked away and when they got back into the car to drop her off he was just really quiet. She asked him if he was ok, he said “that was my ex, it was a really bad break up and she broke my heart” she ended up spending 20 min consoling him while he cried in his car.

Story 4: A friend met a guy on Match.com. This was new to her but she had not been on a date in awhile and felt the need to get out there. A guy named Tony emailed her saying he was interested in getting to know her a little bit more. They emailed back and forth for awhile, she was a little skeptical to meet him in person but she finally caved in.

He asked her to have drinks and told her the restaurants name. She arrived a little early to scope out the place and when she arrived the hostess asked if her name was ******* she said yes and was told that her date was already here sitting at a table. My friend thought that was kind of weird because he told her drinks. When she met the guy he was dressed up and pulled out her chair for her. The dinner conversation went like this.

Him: How are you doing?

Her: I’m sorry; I thought we were having drinks.

Him: I thought we could get a little food and some drinks.

Her: Ok, well I already ate but I can still do drinks.

Everything seemed fine and she was having a good time. That was until all of a sudden he got really quiet. He stood up in front of everyone and hit his knife to his glass, he told everyone in the restaurant that he had an announcement.

Him: ******* you mean a lot to me, you are funny, nice and beautiful. I would love for you to be my wife (gets down on one knee), will you marry me?

My friend looks around and everyone is staring at her, waiting for her to respond. She looks at him and says.

Her: What are you doing? You don’t even know me?

As someone shouts out “say yes, say yes”

My friend ends up getting up slowly and walking out of the restaurant. She got an email a couple of day’s later saying sorry that his friends put him up to it as a dare, that they were sitting at a table across the way. She never called him back.

No comments:

Post a Comment