Friday, November 6, 2009

How to scare kids.....without being a stalker

I thought I would start off with an easy how to topic. This topic can go in many different directions. I am going to try to focus on something that most people don’t do on a daily basis. So how to make a frozen pizza would be out of the picture.

If there was one thing I learned about this past weekend it was that I am getting older. I am no longer spending my Halloween at the bars downtown in whatever city I may be living in at that moment. Oh no no no, I am spending my time (past week) building and running (with my roommates) a haunted house in our garage. While the little kids were going through the haunted house last weekend, I heard one little girl say, “How did you make this?” and my friend answered back, “With time and money”.

Although my roommate Jenna is someone who just happens to have a million Halloween decorations in her possession, I still never realized how much time it takes to set up a haunted house. I will take you step by step on HOW TO make/run a haunted house.

Step 1. Find two roommates who are obsessed with Halloween. Lauren was the supervisor, Jenna was project manager and I was in charge of advertising.

Step 2. Create a blueprint in regards to the layout of the haunted house and what stations you want to have.

Step 3. Create a “kill room” outline in the garage with black painter’s tarp. Make hallways with the black tarp leaving hidden hallways for people to stand in to scare people.

Step 4. Build different stations. The stations we created were:
a. Spooky Forest: Make large tress, and above them hang brown paper branches with purple lights attached. We also had fake spiders and bats hanging down and taped spooky eyes all around.
b. Witches Kitchen: An interactive touch station with maggots (rice), eye balls (grapes), hearts (pealed tomatoes), and Goblin Guts (macaroni with cornstarch and water). Then hire a stand-in Witch (Steph) to say, “Hello my children, would you like to touch my last victim’s eye balls?”
c. Haunted Hallway: Use foam poster board and cut out different size frames which are taped onto the black tarp. Then people with masks stand still in the frames, and when people walk by they say, “Boo!”
d. Mad Scientist Laboratory: Use a black light and have a bunch of different sized glasses with water in them. You then take highlighters apart and stick them in the water which allows for a glowing affect when put next to the black light. Put a couple fake feet and hands in the area with gray mice all over and you are set. Then you ask your boyfriend to dress up like a mad scientist and have him scare the little kids.
e. Ghostly Graveyard: For this you just need fake graves and a roommate whose parents have a life size skeleton. With a smoke machine and strobe lights it can be pretty freaky. Then you put a coffin (refrigerator box) at the end with Danny jumping out of it.

Step 5. Print off 75 flyers advertising for the haunted house and use up two lunches passing out the flyers to every neighbor within 1 mile.

Step 6. Make sure you have secured top actors who show up before the haunted house opens.

Step 7. Wait till 7:00pm and hope kids show up.

Step 8. Finish at 9:00pm and start the after party complete with a dance party.

The haunted house went off without a hitch. I am surprised at how much got done in the last hour before it opened. We had a lot of fun and the neighbors all asked if we were doing it again next year. So if you’re not going to the bars and would like to venture out and try something new, I would suggest a haunted house.

I will be putting up pictures soon. Sorry my camera was stolen by a blind person that night but I will be getting it back soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment