Monday, October 18, 2010

This Will Blow Your Mind ~ Buckingham

Have you ever been told what you think you have known for your whole life is totally wrong?

The day: Last Friday
Who: Marcus Buckingham - an English motivational speaker, trainer, public leader, researcher and author. http://www.tmbc.com/mb/biography
What he said:
Everything you know about strengths and weaknesses is wrong.

The speech started by Marcus (I met him so I feel like we are now on a first name basis...probably doesnt remember me but thats ok) asking everyone what is more important in the workforce; building on your strengths or working on your weaknesses. Everyone had a different opinion and in my mind they were all valid opinions. The part that really struck me was his definition of what strength is and what weakness is. For the most part people are taught that a strength is something we are good at and a weakness is something we are bad at. Now this next part is going to blow your mind.

That is really not the case. He goes on to tell everyone that people can be really good at something but it is a weakness for them and on the flip side people can be really bad at something but it is a strength. Let me explain a strength is something that when you are doing “it” that “it” makes you stronger as a person; it gives strength to your life it brings you happiness, invigorats you, make you feel successful etc. A weakness is something that while you are doing “it” that “it” makes you a weaker person; it gives weakness to your life in terms of sadness, anxiety, boredom.

I thought about this afterward like Marcus (again he’s my friend, even tho I was unable to get his autograph bummer) told me too. I think about my last job. Since I was a little kid I remember people telling me you are good with people you should be in sales. I was good at sales, I remember my boss would tell me that all the time, yet I was not happy and bored most of the time. Going to work what I thought was my strength was actually a weakness of mine. What I realized is I don’t feel successful in sales it’s just the aspect of working with people and that interaction with them that gave me the feeling of success.

He discussed how in the work place you won’t always be able to focus on your strengths but what’s important is to find that balance. You might use a strength you have while also incorporating a weakness also. What is important is to teach yourself to pay attention on what day to day basis what tasks make you feel strong. Noticing each day why the task made you feel good or made you feel bad.

What are your strenghs? Are they different then you thought they were?

No comments:

Post a Comment